Bridesmaid Gifts

Posted on October 7, 2016

Here’s how we made our Bridesmaids’ gifts

We made both our groomsmen gifts and our bridesmaids gift ourselves. Here’s quick recap of how we made the bridesmaid gifts:

It all started with this “log” we pulled out of our firewood pile:
2016-07-30-15-12-43

Robin milled it into 2″ slabs:

Marking out the holes for drilling:
2016-08-21-08-29-57

Holes drilled:
2016-08-21-11-32-55

2016-08-21-11-25-28

Masked off the nice live edge:
2016-08-21-12-04-31

Some hand chiseling for some special pockets:
2016-08-21-12-37-23

Spray painted the surface. This is both to seal the wood a bit for air escaping into the epoxy, as well as for the metallic sheen on the insides of the holes. It’ll be discreet, but in a few of the pockets should add a very nice glow.
2016-08-22-11-34-37

Placing objects in, with a little bit of epoxy to seal coat and hold things in place:
2016-08-28-17-22-48

Too much epoxy. It was annoying to clean up. We also mixed in a little bit of “rose transparent” glitter to add some more shiny:
2016-08-28-18-44-30

Here’s a close up of one of them after the first epoxy fill:
2016-08-28-18-44-47

Now it’s time to dish them out and reveal that wood again!
2016-08-29-17-39-09

2016-08-29-17-39-20

2016-08-29-19-09-47

Some minor defects that need patching/filling:
2016-08-29-19-09-50

Done dishing/sanding, now we reveal the live edge and put a thinned coat of polyester resin over the whole thing, to seal the grain and add some waterproofing:
2016-09-04-12-48-29

And then after this we put on a thick coat of pure polyester resin. We should have hung them to dry instead of letting them dry sitting face up, the end result was a tiny flat spot in the center of each ring dish. Oh well, they still came out excellent considering this is our first time doing a ring dish, inlay with polyester resin, milling firewood lumber, basically all of it!

Here’s the final shots after drying and putting rubber feet on:

_dsc9180

_dsc9187

_dsc9186

_dsc9185

_dsc9183

_dsc9184

_dsc9189