Closet Barn Doors

Posted on September 28, 2015

We made some barn doors!

Skip to after

Before:

Ugly accordian doors:

2015-09-04 10.44.00

And this is one of the annoying issues. The closet was taken in a bit in order to expand the bathroom next to it, but this will was never brought up to flush so there’s part of the closet that’s just wall.
2015-09-04 10.44.29

Another quick (way) before shot, because we actually changed the main light fixture and added a second light fixture about a month before starting this part of the reno, this is the true before:
2015-02-09 10.53.49

The Process:


First things first, remove the moulding and existing framing for adjustment.
2015-09-05 09.25.46

2015-09-05 11.53.26

Extending the wall:

2015-09-05 13.15.37

2015-09-05 15.02.40

2015-09-05 16.16.33

2015-09-05 16.16.43

2015-09-05 17.05.20

2015-09-05 17.25.55

And then so much puttying:

2015-09-05 17.53.28

2015-09-05 17.53.38

2015-09-06 12.17.37

2015-09-06 15.12.10

2015-09-06 16.06.57

2015-09-07 10.03.46

Phew. That’s mostly done. Now, onto the doors!

2015-09-07 11.49.13
Planing…
2015-09-07 11.49.15
So. Much. Sanding.
2015-09-07 11.49.21

Beveling

2015-09-07 14.30.35

Painting

2015-09-07 14.30.57

Test fitting

2015-09-07 15.14.37
What, you thought I was done puttying?
2015-09-07 17.04.59

All the pieces!

2015-09-08 08.41.57

Prepping for paint

2015-09-08 12.01.58
Cleaning
2015-09-08 14.16.28
Masking
2015-09-10 19.11.08
Painting some of the hardware
2015-09-11 14.11.58
First coat! Looking like a hallway again 🙂
2015-09-11 21.32.51
More hardware
2015-09-11 21.33.10
Doors assembled!
2015-09-12 09.42.08
Slight bow in the doors (Crappy plywood) hoping that letting the glue dry like this will help. (Spoiler alert, it did!)
2015-09-12 10.46.36
Second coat of paint on the doors, this hid a lot of the wood grain, but lesson learned. Next time we’ll go with a very colored stain instead or just do one really good coat of paint to keep the wood texture.
2015-09-12 13.00.41
More hardware…
2015-09-13 14.38.24
Getting ready for assembling the hardware!
2015-09-13 15.45.19
Assembling!
2015-09-13 15.54.26
Needs a little fine tuning, holes are big enough for it.
2015-09-13 16.02.38
Finding the studs and then drilling lots of small holes to make certain I find dead center, these 1/2″ lag screws HAVE to be centered.
2015-09-13 16.33.12
Success!
2015-09-13 16.39.25
Painting the backer bar
2015-09-13 17.22.13
Doors assembled!
2015-09-13 18.17.11
Robin’s reaction when she notices “dat gap”…..
2015-09-13 21.02.10
Everyone makes mistakes….I didn’t even consider this when designing it all.
2015-09-14 07.17.01
So the next day I started on a solution to surprise her. A friend gave me the advice “Express the hardware, don’t hide it”
2015-09-14 15.03.03

2015-09-14 15.13.31

2015-09-14 15.15.44

2015-09-14 15.25.59

2015-09-14 16.56.53
As it turns out, this looks frickin AWESOME. I had half a mind to redo all the brackets in this fashion, but eventually decided not to. I like it as a fancy flourish.
2015-09-14 17.06.01

2015-09-14 17.06.19

And the final detail, the floor moulding! We found stain and moulding at HD that matched perfectly, yay!
2015-09-21 18.42.07

Now for the after

_DSC8504

  • Aperture: ƒ/22
  • Camera: NIKON D90
  • Taken: 24 September, 2015
  • Focal length: 18mm
  • ISO: 200
  • Shutter speed: 10s

_DSC8505

  • Aperture: ƒ/3.5
  • Camera: NIKON D90
  • Taken: 24 September, 2015
  • Focal length: 18mm
  • ISO: 200
  • Shutter speed: 1/6s

Total cost came in around $400, but that’s including a lot of the wall stuff too, and some mistakes. Thanks April Wilkerson for the idea/proof of concept/plans/everything! Here’s her post about it: Wilkderdos.com